Pre Requisites: Minimum 2 Years tractor driving experience. W endorsement*
Duration: 5 Days 8am-5pm.
Course Overview in Brief:
Stacking silage is the key element to the whole silage process, it is important to ensure that silage is stacked and stored correctly to get the highest quality feed for livestock. It's well known that a major factor in correct silage storage is having a tightly compacted stack which in turn increases the value of the feed.
This is an integrated training and assessment course. You'll receive a certificate of training once it is complete. We'll guide you through the theory of stacking silage for supplement feed as well as plenty of time in the seat operating Pivot steer machine, Large compaction tractors and Buck rakes.
•The complete ensiling Process.
•Health and safety.
•Controls, Pivot steer and front Linkage operation.
•Operating the loader and Large tractor.
•Maneuvering loader and large tractor.
•Mounted buck rakes.
•Stack construction and compaction.
•Sealing the stack.
- Understand the purpose and function of a pivot steer loader. (PSL)
- Understand the function of all controls (PSL)
- Understand the hazards associated with using controls. (PSL)
- Leave the tractor and PSL in a safe state
- Competently perform checking of the lubrication, cooling and air intake of the engine, perform basic lubrication of the tractor and ensure the tractor is in a safe road going state
- Attach a mounted buck rake and manoeuvre in a forward and reverse direction
- Operate and handle machinery on unlevel terrain whilst moving loads.
- Leave unattached implements in a safe state
- Assess the minimum turning circle of the machine
- Understand stacking principals and compaction.
- Ballast a machine for stacking.
- Build a wedge shaped stack and a bun shaped stack as assessed.
- Seal a stack for good silage fermentation.