Tractor Operation 5-Day
Theory and Practical Training
Industry Training Micro-Credential: Operate a Tractor in the Primary Industry.
Duration: 5 Days Theory and Practical Training (8am-5pm) 1 Day assessment within 3 months of the course date.
Overview in brief:
The tractor is an essential piece of machinery for so many businesses and operating it safely and efficiently is vital.
Whether you are an experienced hand, or just starting out, our instructors will steer you through the entire tractor-driving process.
Unit standards covered:
19044- Demonstrate knowledge of the legal requirements and hazards associated with tractor use
31914- Attach and detach a power take off driven 3-point linkage mounted implement to a basic tractor under limited supervision
31913- Operate a basic tractor on flat terrain under close supervision
24538- Demonstrate knowledge of tractor stability and the dynamics of tractors and attached implements
24539- Maintain and use a power take off driven implement attached to a tractor under limited supervision
- Health and safety legislation.
- NZ road rules & regulations.
- Risk assessments.
- Hazard and control measures.
- Reporting and/or recording accidents or near misses.
- Identify legal requirements for tractor use.
- Perform pre-start check.
- Basic operations and manoeuvring of the tractor.
- Safe practice in using attachments, trailers, and the PTO.
- Basic operations using Tractor mounted front-end loader.
- General maintenance on machines
- Attach and detach a 3-point mounted power take off driven implement.
- Operate a tractor on flat terrain.
- Describe factors that affect tractor stability and dynamics of a tractor with attached implements.
- Operate a tractor power take off driven implement.
- Mount and dismount safely.
- Understand the purpose and meaning of the instrumentation.
- Understand the function of all controls.
- Understand the hazards associated with using controls.
- Start and stop the engine in a safe manner.
- Be competent in driving a tractor in a forward and reverse direction.
- Leave the tractor in a safe state.
- Competently perform checking of the lubrication, cooling, and air intake of the engine, perform basic lubrication of the tractor, and ensure the tractor is in a safe road going state.
- Attach a mounted implement and manoeuvre in a forward and reverse direction.
- Attach a trailed implement and manoeuvre in a forward and reverse direction.
- Leave unattached implements in a safe state.
- Correctly attach a PTO shaft between tractor and implement.
- Attach the PTO shaft guards correctly.
- Assess the minimum turning circle of the machine and the angle of the PTO shaft.
- Carry out basic operations using tractor mounted loader.